When someone is nearing the end of life, special care is available to ensure their comfort during this time. Hospice care is more than providing medical services. A good hospice team focuses on the quality of life for the patient and their family members.
Eventually, advanced illnesses result in health complications that limit daily activities. When the family reaches this point, it’s time to access hospice care so the patient can live as comfortably and fully as possible.
If you live in or near Dallas, TX, then Avatar Healthcare is the team to call. We provide full-service hospice, palliative care, and home health services. Contact our team at your convenience to learn more about the ways we can support your family.
Hospice Philosophy: What to Expect
When a person is suffering from an incurable disease and in the final stages of their life, the hospice philosophy is to provide support without life-saving treatments. There are no efforts to postpone death.
Instead, hospice care addresses the disease symptoms and treats the person – not the disease.
Quality hospice care involves a team of medical experts who provide a personalized approach for managing symptoms. The goal is to help each patient spend the last days of their life in dignity, surrounded by people they love.
While hospice services center on the patient’s needs, this treatment plan is centered on the family. When medical decisions need to be made, hospice providers consult with the patient and their closest family members.
When a patient requires ongoing care, it takes a toll on the family. Hospice providers offer the additional support needed so family members can rest and take care of other life responsibilities as required.
Optimal Timing for Hospice Care
When is the right time to call a hospice provider? Most medical professionals recommend hospice services when a life-threatening disease reaches the stage where the disease can no longer be cured or controlled.
If a person has less than 6 months to live and doctors recommend letting the disease run its course, it’s time to consult with a hospice team.
Unfortunately, families often wait too long before bringing in hospice services. The assumption is that hospice care means you are giving up on life. The truth is that hospice care helps each person maximize their quality of life in the final stages of a serious illness.
Don’t delay hospice services if you need additional support in the home. Hospice doesn’t speed up death. Instead, it provides a better experience for everyone involved before a loved one passes away.
If your treatment is no longer working or you have no more options for medical treatment, then talk to your doctor about hospice.
Personalized Support Through Hospice
The benefit of working with a team like Avatar Healthcare is that we offer full-service solutions for each patient. We are a one-stop provider, which means that you have access to everything you need in the final stages of life.
The type of support available from each hospice provider varies. We know that each patient is unique, which is why our team provides a network of services – allowing you to hand-pick the ideal solutions for your family.
Here is an overview of standard hospice services you might consider:
- Symptom Control: The physical symptoms can be intense as the disease is progressing. Symptom management is focused on providing as much comfort as possible. Symptom control can include medication, therapy services, and lifestyle adjustments.
- Palliative Care: A person with an advanced disease needs help managing more than the symptoms. Pain control and stress management are just as important. Palliative care helps patients enjoy the last stage of their life as much as possible.
- Home Care: Some patients receive hospice services through an inpatient facility. Other patients want to stay in their homes. You have the option to arrange for in-home care, with medical experts coming to your house each day.
- Family Education: Family members need to stay informed about the progress of the disease and how to best support their loved one. Hospice services can assist with family meetings and ongoing educational opportunities to talk about what is happening.
- Spiritual Care: Different religious beliefs and spiritual needs can be addressed through hospice support. Many people want to talk to religious leaders to consider what death means to them. Additionally, hospice is available to help with rituals or religious ceremonies that coincide with death.
- Coordinate Services: Often, hospice care involves multiple providers and ongoing support. Our team at Avatar Healthcare supervises and coordinates these efforts to ensure you have support at all times. Communication is key to ongoing healthcare support.
- Family Respite: It can be hard on the family to offer 24/7 care. When a patient is being cared for at home, it’s essential to give the family time for respite. For example, in-home care helps family caregivers take time to rest or go to special events.
- Grief Resources: Grief support is critical to help families work through the emotions and challenges of losing a loved one. Hospice providers can refer families to professional care. Grief support is often available to the family for a year after a patient passes away.
Our team at Avatar Healthcare offers unique support to give you access to a personalized care plan. Reach out for a consultation so you can learn more about these quality services.
Signs You Should Talk to a Hospice Provider
It’s a difficult decision for a family to choose hospice care. If you are considering these services, then you should talk to the person’s doctor and consult with other family members.
These are a few indications that it is time for hospice services:
- Timeline: When doctors indicate that a person has 6 months or less to live, then hospice care is recommended.
- Declining: A rapid decline in health can be supported through hospice care. Call our team if the person is experiencing a decline in mental status, weight loss, or the ability to perform daily activities.
- Comfort: If a patient decides to forego treatments to prolong life, care shifts from disease treatment to symptom management. Hospice helps someone live more comfortably at this time.
Support for Challenging Hospice Decisions
Not only do you need to decide if hospice is the right decision, but many questions come up about the type of care a person requires. Working with an experienced hospice team is a great way to evaluate your options and select the ideal services for your loved one.
Our team at Avatar Healthcare is here to offer the ongoing support you need during this challenging time. If you live near Dallas or Collin County, we invite you to schedule a consultation to learn more about hospice, home health, and personal home care services. Call: (844) 422-5528.